Thursday 19 August 2010

The Smug Bridgroom

Back in the mists of time, 2002 to be precise, Five Leaves published a book with this title by the poet Robert Hamberger, then living in the East Midlands. He moved, with his partner Keith to Brighton and we now only seem to keep in touch by email. Well, poetry books eight years old tend to - sadly - drift from memory so it was a great boost to read the long review below. At the time I particularly liked the second half of the book, a set of 21 sonnets called "The Rule of Earth" which were some of the best love poems I knew. Around the time I was reading a lot of poetry to and with older people and often used some of them, particularly "The Thought", extracted in the blog
By chance I've also just caught up with Brokeback Mountain, also mentioned in the review. Thanks then to Jason Roush at popsublime, not least for reminding me of such a good book on the Five Leaves' backlist.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Thanks for your appreciation, Ross...it's very kind of you. I've thanked you in reply to the comment that you posted on my blog as well. Cheers, with gratitude for the many excellent books that you've published over the years!

Ross Bradshaw said...

You flatterer...